|“||Target is named Zilla. Hit it with everything!||„|
|— Steven Woods|
|American Godzilla comic series character|
|First appearance||Godzilla: Rulers of Earth (issue 1)|
|Latest appearance||Godzilla: Oblivion (issue 4)|
|Created by||Matt Frank in 2013|
|Based on||The creature Zilla created by Ryuhei Kitamura and Shogo Tomiyama in 2004.|
Zilla (IDW) is a giant monster from IDW's comic book series Godzilla: Rulers of Earth (issue 1, issue 2, issue 8, issue 13, issue 21 and issue 25), originally set for release on June 19, 2013 but was later released on June 26, and with the second issue earlier thought to be coming out in July but which was released on August 6. The creature was set for a two-issues long "battle" with the IDW Godzilla. The creature is the second incarnation of the Zilla-character, where the first was Zilla (2004) from Godzilla: Final Wars. The IDW Zilla is based upon and represents the Final Wars Zilla, and therefore it doesn't have any breath weapon but only sharp claws. It also has a powerful jaw filled with sharp teeth and it has the ability to burrow itself rapidly underground. Other outstanding abilities are its fast speed and elegant swimming ability.
Comic book appearanceEdit
Godzilla: Rulers of Earth (2013)Edit
IDW Publishing bought the rights to Zilla in order to have it included in the currently ongoing comic Godzilla: Rulers of Earth (also called ROE). The IDW Zilla, with a slightly different appearance from other American Godzilla incarnations, appeared in the two first issues. This is the second time the American Godzilla appears in comic book form, where the first was in the Godzilla: The Series webcomic.
IDW Zilla appears in promotion for the comic.
Godzilla: Rulers of Earth (issue 1) (June 26, 2013)Edit
The expected release of this first issue was set to be June 19 but it was delayed until June 26. This issue includes "Chapter 1: In the Court of the King". The comic starts with a giant creature being discovered on a radar and which is presumed to be either Godzilla or a new species, and presumably this is the very first reference to Zilla in the comic. Later, during a Megazoology Conference in Honolulu, Hawaii, Zilla enters a beach and instantly causes panic and destruction. The human military defense and their high tech weapons are seemingly useless against the creature. Soldier Steven Woods recieves a warning that the creature identified as Godzilla was coming their way, but due to radio interference Woods recieved the wrong words and now falsely referred to the creature as "Zilla", and while they try to fight the creature and lead civilians into safety, suddenly the original Godzilla appears on the scene, ready to fight this new Godzilla. An official description by IDW of the first issue said:
|“||In the wake of the climactic conclusion of Godzilla #13 comes a brand new series! Dozens of new monsters have risen from the depth and are staking out their own territory, regardless of humanity’s political borders! A war of dominance beings... will Godzilla end up on top? First he’ll have to beat a new upstart... Zilla!||„|
Godzilla: Rulers of Earth (issue 2) (August 6, 2013)Edit
The IDW Zilla makes its second appearance in this second issue of Rulers of Earth, and this issue even shows some reference to Final Wars. The comic picks up where the first issue ended, the IDW Godzilla and IDW Zilla stand face to face to each other and starts moving towards each other. While Godzilla tries to grab Zilla, the latter creature jumps to the side, but Godzilla hits Zilla in the head with his fists. With Zilla lying on the ground, Godzilla is about to put his giant foot down on the creature's head, but Zilla rapidly avoids the stomp attack and turns to rip up Godzilla's leg with its claws. Godzilla then grabs Zilla's tail with his jaws and throws him away. Zilla hits a large building, and Godzilla powers up his atomic breath and fires it at the creature. But it turns out Zilla had burrowed itself under the ground where the building once stood and thus it had escaped the atomic blast. An official description by IDW of the second issue said:
|“||While the growing monster population continues to take its toll on Earth, an ambitious student named Lucy is ready to set out on a world-wide adventure to unravel the mysteries of the great kaiju…that is, if she can survive the battle between Godzilla and the upstart kaiju, Zilla!||„|
Godzilla: Rulers of Earth (issue 8) (January 29, 2014)Edit
The IDW Zilla appears on a cover of the eight issue of ROE revealed on October 18, 2013 , but not in the comic itself. The cover features several monsters such as Godzilla, Rodan, Varan, Anguirus, Jet Jaguar, Titanosaurus, Kumonga, Zilla, and the Gargantuas Sanda and Gaira, and it is set for release in late January, 2014.
Godzilla: Rulers of Earth (issue 13) (June 25, 2014)Edit
The IDW Zilla reappears briefly in the thirteenth issue of ROE, where Chavez and Lucy spot him swimming in the waters around the coasts of Monster Islands. Chavez mentions that he believes the reason he's keeping his distance is because he's probably not welcome, while Lucy mentions that the other monsters will eventually come to accept him.
Godzilla: Rulers of Earth (issue 21) (March 4, 2015)Edit
The IDW Zilla is one of the monsters who appear in the cover of the twenty-first issue of ROE, though not in the comic itself.
Godzilla: Rulers of Earth (issue 25) (June 8, 2015)Edit
The IDW Zilla appears in the twenty-fifth issue of ROE, and also appears in the cover. He arrives in Los Angeles and kills a Trilopod to save Jet Jaguar. Shortly after, he participates in the battle against the Trilopods and manages to kill many of them. He then tries to attack Magita alongside Varan, but they are both defeated at the same time. Godzilla finally manages to destroy Magita, then he goes into the sea and Zilla follows him along with the other monsters.
Godzilla: Oblivion (2016)Edit
Godzilla: Oblivion (issue 4) (June 22, 2016)Edit
IDW Zilla makes a brief appearance at the end of the fourth issue of Godzilla: Oblivion. He is seen emerging from an interdimensional portal along with some other Japanese Kaijus.
Audience and fan reactionEdit
After Zilla was first introduced to the world of Godzilla in 2004 and re-introduced in 2013, fans who were previously disappointed on the American Godzilla character are increasingly changing their minds about the monster, and the amount of fans of the American Godzilla are constantly increasing. Although while some fans don't have any major problem with the fictional beast, other fans state that they can only like the creature if they don't refer to it as Godzilla.
When the news came that Zilla was going to be included in IDW's new comic, Godzilla: Rulers of Earth, fans reacted much in the same way as they did when Final Wars was released in 2004. Fans were both shocked and excited about the news and were generally pleased with how the comic project turned out. ShadowWing Tronix of bw media spotlight said in a review of the first issue:
|“||A woman named Lucy Casprell is in Hawaii to take part in a daikaiju conference when Zilla (the name given to Roland Emmerich’s “Godzilla In Name Only” monster in the Final Wars movie) arrives, and GODzilla shows up right behind him! [...] I also like the nods to Emmerich’s movie when Zilla first appears. Hopefully Rulers Of Earth succeeds where Final Wars failed and “fixes” this Zilla like Godzilla: The Series did. (The Fox Kids show, not the old NBC one.)||„|
Daniel Alvarez of Unleash The Fanboy said in a review of the first issue (written on June 25, 2013):
|“||The major plot point is the arrival of Zilla. This monster is the creature from the 98 movie and Final Wars. People were skeptical on him appearing in the comic, but I think after reading this that skepticism can be washed away. His appearance was absolutely fantastic. Then when Godzilla arrives in his glorious splash page, you know things are about to get real." and "Godzilla looks absolutely fantastic, but it’s Zilla that steals the show. The art captures his lean look well. The fight is going to be something else to behold. [...] Overall, Rulers Earth starts out nicely with everything we love about Godzilla. The fun atmosphere will be sure to appeal to everyone, and there’s some really good monster action. Zilla, love or hate him, has never looked better.||„|
- He's the second American Godzilla who fights his Japanese counterpart, where the first was Zilla (2004).
- Unlike other American Godzillas, Zilla (IDW) has a fifth finger as shown on Matt Frank's cover artwork for Godzilla: Rulers of Earth (issue 2).
- IDW Zilla seems to have a very aggressive personality, contrary to the other American Godzillas (except Cyber-Godzilla and Zilla who are controlled by aliens).
- IDW Zilla is based upon the Final Wars Zilla and therefore it is said to have no breath weapon, even though the Final Wars Zilla does have an acidic fire breath.
- IDW Zilla's appearances in Rulers of Earth show references to Final Wars and its Zilla. For example, Godzilla and Zilla roars and walks against each other and IDW Zilla is tossed away into a building after IDW Godzilla bites his tail, and then IDW Godzilla uses his atomic breath on the creature. This is similar to when Godzilla (2004) and Zilla (2004) roared and moved towards each other and Godzilla whipped away Zilla into a building with his tail and used his atomic breath on Zilla. And the creatures meet on an island in both the film and the comic. This seems to be clear references.
- There are also many possible references to Godzilla (1998 film) in Rulers of Earth, such as the first appearence of IDW Zilla where he's seen in a sonar (like the American Godzilla in the 1998 film), the fact that someone tried to film IDW Zilla during his rampage (similar to Animal in the 1998 film), the scene where IDW Zilla passed ahead a window (clearly a nod to the scene of the 1998 film) and the fact that IDW Zilla was attacked by helicopters and ran away. The scene where IDW Godzilla emerged from a building to attack his opponent from behind is also possibly inspired by the scene in the 1998 film where the American Godzilla did the same thing against the military's Apache Choppers.
- Artist Matt Frank (the creator of the upcoming comic Godzilla: Rulers of Earth) has created several artworks of Zilla. These artworks were uploaded to his deviantART account.
Comics, books and magazinesEdit
- Godzilla: Rulers of Earth (issue 8) (cover only)
- Godzilla: Rulers of Earth (issue 21) (cover only)
- Godzilla: Oblivion (issue 4) (cameo)
- ↑ http://www.idwpublishing.com/news/article/2518/
- ↑ http://www.idwpublishing.com/news/article/2580/
- ↑ http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=preview&id=17013 </li>
- ↑ http://www.austinbooks.com/content/godzilla-rulers-earth </li>
- ↑ http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2013/07/31/godzilla-rulers-of-earth-2-preview/ </li>
- ↑ http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2013/07/31/godzilla-rulers-of-earth-2-preview/ </li>
- ↑ http://kaijusamurai.deviantart.com/art/Godzilla-Rulers-of-Earth-issue-8-cover-407949071 </li>
- ↑ http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2013/10/18/idw-solicits-godzilla-rulers-of-earth-8-for-january-2014/ </li>
- ↑ http://bwmedia.wordpress.com/2013/07/01/todays-comic-godzilla-rulers-of-earth-1/ </li>
- ↑ http://www.unleashthefanboy.com/comics/godzilla-rulers-of-earth-1-review/59836 </li></ol>
- Godzilla: Rulers of Earth #2 Preview on SciFi Japan
- IDW Solicits Godzilla: Rulers of Earth #8 for January 2014 on SciFi Japan
- Godzilla: Rulers of Earth Interview with Writer Chris Mowry on IDW Publishing
- Terrifying New Monsters Rise in… GODZILLA: RULERS OF EARTH! on IDW Publishing